Friday, July 18, 2008

So you're Canadian, eh?

For some reason or another, the past few days at work have been bombarded with unusual influxes of Canadians. It's a running joke that Canadians always try to hand the cashiers their credit cards instead of running in themselves in the credit card machine the way they're supposed to. One lady came up to me, trying to hand me her card and I told her to use the card reader...she said, to no surprise of mine, "Oh, I'm supposed to use that thing, eh?"

I've met a couple of weird people in the past few days as well. One was weird enough to convince the head people there that I needed to walk out with security. This younger guy came up and bought a small grill, the kind in a box that you can make hamburgers in, or whatever you do with those things. We were just chatting about it, you know, regular small-talk. Right? He left his grill there, which I thought was pretty funny since we'd been talking about it. He came back less than an hour later and asked if he'd left it there. I brought it out from under the counter and gave it to him, saying I was glad he'd come back to get it since he'd already paid for it and everything. A little while later, I heard over the walkie/intercom wherever I heard it, "Becky, 2280, Becky, 2280" which means "You have a call at the front desk." However, there is another Becky that works there, quite a bit higher-up than me, so of course I assumed it was from her. After my break, as I was leaving the break room, a couple of team members came up to me and told me they needed to talk to me about something and asked if I'd helped someone with a grill earlier that day. I said I had, and they got really serious and looked at each other nervously. Of course I was slightly terrified, I thought I'd done something really wrong. They said something about finding a back room to talk in, and I couldn't stand the curiosity, asking what happened. Apparently this guy was trying to get a hold of me and ask me out for a drink that night, hence the call at the front desk. They were afraid he was going to come after me, so they made me walk out with a security guard.
I guess there are two things I can learn from this. One, Target is going to protect me from creepy guys. And two, don't make small talk with younger guys.

No comments: