Thursday, April 23, 2009

Utah Flooding

North Dakota may have been almost totally underwater for the past few weeks, but I'm having my own small problems with flooding here in Utah. In the underpass, where I walk to get to school every day, somehow the storm drain got backed up and left a few inches of water in the way. A few inches sounds like it wouldn't be a big deal, but it's sort of a pain. At first I just ran through it as fast as I could, but when that made my shoes and socks wet, not to mention my pants and sometimes my shirt, I decided there must be a better way. I decided even though it took quite a bit out of me, I hoisted my huge bag up and jumped up onto the cement wall next to the walkway and walked over next to it. This wouldn't be a big deal, but it's been a week and the water hasn't moved an inch. I'm getting a little bit tired of jumping up and down walls that are just about as tall as I am. You might ask why I don't just walk all the way across up on the wall so I don't have to jump, but I would probably end up with a concussion, with the cement supports that go across at about 3 feet from the top of the wall. I am only hoping that it will go down soon. I don't know though, it's supposed to rain this next weekend, so it'll probably just get worse.

I'm moving out tomorrow!! I'm kind of excited, but at the same time I'm really sort of sad. I've really liked this apartment complex a lot and I've met so many awesome people. Now that I finally feel like I have friends, I have to go make new ones again. Oh well, I'm sure it won't be too hard, and at least I'll be in my new ward for a lot longer than I was in this one (3 months). I think I need to make a goal to meet more people though, and really try harder to get to know them better. It took me the whole 3 months here to really start feeling like I had some friends, and it still wasn't quite what I wanted. But then I realized I never really tried very hard till a couple of weeks ago. So that's one of my goals for my new ward and apartment. Another goal is to actually do my visiting teaching. It should be so easy with my companions and teachees living within 50 feet of my apartment (just like the rest of my ward :P), but it's not. It's so hard to get schedules worked out and getting stubborn college students here to cooperate when they think visiting teaching is for old, lonely ladies. Yeah, life is rough, I gotta say...

So I got my nails done again, only they're all the same this time! I've never had fake nails before, and definitely not ones that look like these, but I am starting to kind of like them. I always thought that this style looked really weird, the colored french manicure, but it's actually kind of fun for summer and everything. I guess. The only reason I did it in the first place was because I was in a nail class at school the other day and I was supposed to do my nails. Another girl did something similar to mine and I decided maybe it didn't look too stupid and I should try it since it was free. So there ya go...now I just have to not get so addicted to them that I leave them on for 7 years, like one of the girls in my class. She doesn't have real nails anymore actually, her fingers literally grew into her fake nails and she can't take them off, she just does them every month or so. Gross, huh? I think so.

No comments: